Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

How do you do Mexican that's healthy, easy, and fast?

Monday night I had a craving for Mexican. Here were the criteria I needed to meet:
1. Easy- I'm tired after work, and don't want a ton of effort into dinner. No four course meals here. Julia Child lives somewhere else.
2. I wanted it baked. I'm having a use the oven craving for some reason.
3. I needed it to be healthy and have veggies.
4. No cheese. a) healthy and b) Prospective Prince Charming "Z" doesn't eat cheese.

So this is what I came up with:


Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1 bag frozen pepper and onion blend
1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
1 can black beans
2 cans enchilada sauce
Tortillas
Packaged taco seasoning, or make your own with garlic salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano and onion powder. (there are scads of recipes on the net)
Desired taco toppings- mine were cheese, tomato, avocado, sour cream and salsa



To Prepare:

Brown your turkey in a nonstick skillet.

Add veggies and cook until soft. ( I did this in two separate pans, because I needed them for another dish, but I'd do it in one if this was all I was cooking for).




Once soft, sprinkle with taco seasoning to taste and stir. Do not add liquid.
Drain and rinse your beans.
Add your beans into the skillet. Stir like crazy until it's all combined.

Turn the oven on to 350. Spray an 8x8 casserole with no-stick spray.

Pour some enchilada sauce in the bottom of the casserole. 
Layer tortillas to cover.
Put in the beef/ veggie/ bean mixture.

Pour enchilada sauce on top



Repeat
Top with a layer of tortillas, some salsa, and enchilada sauce.

Bake in the 350 oven for like 20 minutes until everything is hot and happy.

Serve topped with your favorite taco toppings.


Serves 4-6 people.

Changes to  make:

If your family likes cheese, add it in on top of the beef mixture in each layer, with more on top.
If your family doesn't like beans, or veggies, leave them out. You can change the veggies to what you like too.
You can use red or green enchilada sauce, salsa, tomato sauce. Something wet.
You can use whatever tortillas you have or like.

This can totally be prepared ahead, frozen, and baked another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails