Sunday, October 17, 2010

It really is just like riding a bike

Prospective Prince Charming Z is a huge mountain biker. Me, I'm a runner. I haven't been on a bike since I was a kid. In fact, my last bike didn't have gears. Or hand brakes.

But I'm willing to give new things a try. So since he has FOUR bikes, I borrowed one and we went out to the Silver Comet trail for a ride. ( and seriously, why FOUR? You can only ride one at the time. Boys and their toys!)

The Silver Comet trail is this beautiful paved trail that runs from Smyrna all the way to Alabama on abandoned rail lines. It's FLAT, and very scenic. I can totally see this being a great place to run.

I was very apprehensive about this whole experience. Not having been on a bike in years, and being gracefully challenged, I had this image of me, face planted into the dirt, all scraped up. Like a kid who just got the training wheels taken off their bike. Only rainbow band aids are not the cool statement at the office they are in the second grade.

Gladly, it really did come back to me, although I still need a LOT of practice. But we managed to ride for almost an hour and I didn't fall once. Stopping, still an issue. People passing me-eek. But overall, a great experience.

I'm encouraged to try new things more often. I only wish I'd remembered to have a picture taken during the ride to share with you. Maybe next time!

What are you going to try new or get back into?

1 comment:

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails