Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Vintage Betty Crocker Meat loaf

Sometimes, you just can't mess with a classic. I have Mom's Betty Crocker Dinner for Two cookbook from the seventies. While some things aren't quite to my taste (Jellied Chicken, anyone?), it's a great resource for me, especially for menus for two. Sadly, it's not available new anymore, but you can find used copies on Ebay and Amazon.
Amazon.Com


One of my go-to recipes is her meatloaf recipe.


Take a look at the photography!

Here's a closer look at the recipe:

Meat Loaf:
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground lean pork ( I  use turkey instead)
1 1/2 slices soft bread, torn in pieces, and 1/2 cup milk, or 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs and 2/3 c milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp minced onion
salt to taste
1/8 tsp each pepper, dry mustard, celery salt, and garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
ketchup

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Shape into 2 loaves and place in a baking pan. I use my 9x13 pan, sprayed with cooking spray. Squirt ketchup over the top of the loaves. Bake about an hour, or until done.  Makes 4 servings.



I think there is a rule that says meat loaf must be served with potatoes.  This time, mine were baked, and I served this with some roasted summer squash and zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails